The Illinois State Rifle Association has sent out an “urgent alert” regarding a pair of pending bills in the Land Of Lincoln (LOL) that would effectively ban gun ownership here. These are the bulletins, with relevant links, courtesy of the ISRA:
SPECIAL ALERT UPDATE– YOUR ACTION REQUIRED SENATE COMMITTEE APPROVES BILLS TO RUN RANGES OUT OF BUSINESS AND BAN 80% OF YOUR GUNS
MESSAGE FROM COMMITTEE DEMOCRATS: “Eliminating law-abiding gun owners is a good ‘first step’ towards a ‘civil society.’”
Votes on HB815 and HB1263 were split along party lines in the Senate Public Health Committee Wednesday night with the committee Democrats voting 6-4 and 6-3 to send the bills to the full senate. If these two bills become law, they will resulting most, if not all ranges in the state going out of business as well as the banning of ALL semiautomatic rifles, pistols and shotguns as well as banning all pump shotguns and rifles.
In comments made during testimony, committee Democrats stated plainly that HB815 and HB1263 were “first steps” and that these bills have as their objective the creation of a “more civil society.” In other words, elimination of lawful gun owners is a required first step for creating a more civil society. Of course, there was no mention of the impact of eliminating criminals.
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO ON THURSDAY:
1. Call Senator Dave Syverson at (217) 782-5413 and tell him “THANK YOU” for supporting lawful gun owners by voting “NO” on HB815 and HB1263.
2. Call Senator Shane Cultra at (217) 782-6597 and tell him “THANK YOU” for supporting lawful gun owners by voting “NO” on HB815 and HB1263.
3. Call Senator Christine Johnson at (217) 782-1977 and tell her “THANK YOU” for supporting lawful gun owners by voting “NO” on HB815 and HB1263.
4. Call Senator Carole Pankau at (217) 782-9463 and tell her “THANK YOU” for supporting lawful gun owners by voting “NO” on HB815 and HB1263.
It is very important that you praise these Senators for their support.
The ringleader of the effort to shut down shooting ranges and take your guns away from you is Senator Dan Kotowski. You may wish to call him at (217) 782-3875 and politely explain to him that, as a law-abiding gun owner, you do not appreciate being treated like a criminal and that you oppose any efforts to regulate shooting ranges, ban semiautomatic firearms, or ban standard capacity magazines.
Posted Wed Jan 2 22:29:34 CST 2013
URGENT ALERT – BAN ON GUN RANGES AND BAN ON ALL SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARMS ON THE MOVE IN THE ILLINOIS SENATE
YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
A pair of nightmare bills is on the move at this moment in the Illinois Senate.
These two bills would:
1. Run all gun ranges out of business by imposing heavy fees, imposing special staffing requirements, warrantless searches of ranges and customers, unlimited unannounced “inspections.”
2. Ban all semi-automatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns as well as pump action shotguns.
Here are direct links to the two bills:
EITHER OF THESE TWO BILLS WOULD END YOUR GUN RIGHTS ENTIRELY
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS.
1. Follow the instructions below and contact your Illinois State Senator. Politely tell your senator that you are a law-abiding gun owner and you want them to vote AGAINST HB815 and HB1263. CALL NOW!
2. Pass this information on to your gun owning friends and family, tell them to call as well.
3. Post this alert to all Internet blogs and bulletin boards to which you belong.
The worst of the two bills, HB815 is being sponsored and pushed by anti-gun Senator Dan Kotowski. Go to his link:http://www.ilga.gov/senate/senator.asp?GA=97&MemberID=1724 Call him at the numbers listed and tell him that you do not appreciate him trying to shut down gun ranges and taking your guns away from you. He needs to hear from you!
Posted Wed Jan 2 21:17:56 CST 2013
Illinois Senator Dan Kotowski (pictured above) is touted as the fellow most responsible for this legislation. According to his official biography:
Since taking the oath of office in January of 2007, Dan has quickly become an independent voice for the 33rd Senate district ushering in a new era of progressive leadership for Illinois. He was sworn-in for his second term on January 14, 2009.
Kotowski sponsored legislation in 2007 that would have prohibited assault weapons and .50-caliber rifles. His bill made it through a Senate committee but died on the floor.
Another Illinois State Senator from the 1st District, Antonio Muñoz – pictured below – is responsible for the “Assault Weapon Ban” components of this legislation. He is an ex-Chicago PD cop, and a longtime foe of gun rights. Also, he is pushing to provide illegal immigrants/undocumented workers valid Illinois driver’s licenses. A comprehensive bio of Muñoz can be found here, at Ballotpedia.
Apart from allowing grandstanding “progressive” politicos another chance to stand before the cameras with their arms dramatically outspread, like mini-Mussolinis addressing cheering mobs of fascists on the Illinois floor, I can’t imagine what they expect to accomplish with these bills. Well, sure … they’d like to see us all turn in our guns to the Illinois State Police; and certainly, they’d like very much to get reelected by their “progressive” voter bases. But down deep, they have to realize these bills are about as airworthy as lead dirigibles. Like Kotowski’s Quixotic 2007 attempt to ban .50 cal rifles, this new effort is probably doomed.
I say “probably” because, let’s face it: these are powerful men. Downstate, our representatives will not support these bills. However, just as the super-massive black hole in the center of our galaxy calls the shots way out in the spiral arms where we live, the super-ignorant black hole in Cook County, Illinois has substantial influence all the way down to Cairo at Illinois’ southernmost tip.
So, yes, if you live in the LOL, get on the phone, on your e-mail account, maybe even write a letter using actual paper and raise five kinds of bloody-friggin’-hell with your elected representatives.